Oral Typhoid VaccineWhat is Vivotif®?
How it works
- Vivotif® Oral is an oral, live, attenuated typhoid vaccine for active immunisation against typhoid, in adults and children above 6 years of age.
- Vivotif® Oral is a vaccine used to prevent typhoid fever. Typhoid fever is a severe form of infection caused by a type of Salmonella bacteria. Vaccination with Vivotif® Oral is recommended for adults and children over 6 years of age who live in or travel through areas where typhoid fever occurs.
How much to take
- Vivotif® Oral contains live bacteria called Salmonella typhi strain Ty21a, which do not cause typhoid fever.
- Vivotif® Oral works by causing your body to produce its own protection against the bacteria (germs) which cause typhoid fever. The body makes substances, called antibodies, which destroy the Salmonella typhi bacteria. If you have been vaccinated against Salmonella typhi, your body is able to attack the bacteria if you come in contact with it.
- Protection with Vivotif® Oral requires a full course of 3 doses. After a full course most people will produce enough antibodies to prevent typhoid fever. However, as with all vaccines, 100% protection cannot be guaranteed.
Take one capsule of Vivotif®
Oral every second day, that is
Day 1 - 1 capsule,
Day 3 - 1 capsule,
Day 5 - 1 capsule,
until all 3 capsules have been taken.When to take it
Oral on an empty stomach, 1 hour before food.
Food can interfere with the absorption of Vivotif® Oral.
Vivotif capsules must be stored in the fridge (between 2°C and 8°C)
Note. Information on this site is not intended to replace the advice given by your doctor or health professional.
Consumer Medicine Information
Medicine Data Sheet
Last Updated: 16-09-2013